- lb lean ground beef can sub lamb, but it’s pricier
- 1 dium onion finely chopped
- 1/4 p uncooked rice
- Salt a freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups wer
- 1 cup olivoil or canola oil
- 2 eggs beat
- Combine the meat, onion, rice, and salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Form into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan and add the meatballs. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Remove the meatballs to a plate and discard the water. Heat the oil to a temperature of 350°F, or until the surface shimmers. Dip the meatballs into the beaten egg and deep fry for about 5 minutes, turning as necessary, until browned on all sides. Drain on paper towels and keep warm until served. These may be served on wooden skewers. Makes about 16 meatballs to serve approximately 4.